Follow Us on Twitter

Click the twitter link above to "follow" Bentleyville. 

Periodic information about snow plowing, road conditions, trash week, etc..

To be notified by email of relevant Bentleyville news, click here.

An Eye on the Village

 

 

Check out the latest Park picture.  Better still, go there for a walk!

Village Newsletter

Codified Ordinances

The Village Codified Ordinances are now available on-line.  Click here to view.

Resolutions and non-codified ordinances are also available online.

The Duncan McFarland Homestead

Some historical information and the picture about the McFarland Homestead. If you are interested in this project, please fill out the form below.  We would welcome your energy and/or your memories.  Please share what you can.  Thanks!



35069 Cannon Road, Village of Bentleyville Ohio

Located on Arbor Lane, off Cannon Road in the Cleveland Metroparks South Chagrin Reservation

 

A Brief History of the McFarland Homestead and The McFarland Family

Duncan McFarland
1818 - 1878 Duncan McFarland was born in Cavenragh, Tyrone Co., Ireland in 1818 to James and Elizabeth McFarland. He was one of nine siblings. 

Duncan immigrated to America in 1837 and worked on the Ohio-Erie canal for the high wages. In 1845, Duncan and his brother, Robert, went to Lake Superior to work in the copper mines in order to earn more money to buy property. In 1847, Duncan, Robert and their father James purchased 105 acres of property from Joseph Perkins, a Congressman and one of the Founders of the Western Reserve Historical Society.

In 1848, Duncan married Margaret Whigam, also from Ireland, and built this Homestead out of bricks of orange clay that they made themselves. Their first child, James, was born in 1849.

Duncan and his brother, Robert, became US Citizens in 1851. In 1866, Duncan moved to Euclid Twp. He opened the Bluestone Quarry on the east bank of Euclid Creek in 1867 and established the hamlet of Bluestone. Duncan McFarland died on September 17, 1878. He was survived by his wife, Margaret, and his seven children. 

"...one of the few brick Greek Revival dwellings in the Western Reserve."

The Duncan McFarland Homestead, built in 1848, has architectural significance as one of the few brick Greek Revival dwellings in the Western Reserve. It is an Upright and Wing building type popularly called Western Reserve architecture. It is entwined in the history of the Western Reserve as home to one of the area¹s early pioneers. 

The home features a low-pitched gabled roof with wide frieze and cornice returns. The brick exterior was made locally from orange clay and was set in a common-bond style. Hand-tooled sandstone lintels and sills border the windows.

The woodwork in the Upright section consists of 10" poplar baseboards, 1 to 1_" thick wide flooring, molded window surrounds. The parlor windows have classic window surrounds and paneled knee windows. 

The Wing of the home was built first (1848) which included a sitting room, kitchen and dining room. It was immediately followed by the addition of the Upright section that included a side hallway, parlor, and a stairway leading to two bedrooms upstairs. It is a pre-Civil War building. 

The side hallway front entrance features the original narrow blown-glass transom window on top of the paneled front door. Over 150 years of wear is evident on the sandstone thresholds of the Homestead¹s entrances. 

The staircase to the second floor has a hand-carved balustrade. The molding in the addition is less ornate.

The bathroom on the second floor was added at a later date (1930+) although the original walk to the outdoor privy is still in place. 

The basement features a hand-hewn beam structure and a sandstone foundation. The bulkhead cellar stairs at the rear of the house are of original sandstone construction. 


 


 

The following pictures are of  Boy Scout Troop 241. They worked a weekend in August to tear off the two porches on the McFarland Homestead. This work is important to the history of the home. The porches were not historically correct and added on at a much later date.

 

 

 

 

All rights reserved. © 1831 - 2013 Village of Bentleyville, Ohio, USA
6253 Chagrin River Road • 440-247-5055 • Fax (440) 247-3755
Bentleyville, OH 44022

Contact the Village Admin for additional information.

Our Privacy Policy

Website hosted and developed by Chagrin River Partners 
Maintentance by Village Administration